When it comes to window installation, there are quite a few things that you should know before actually hiring any window replacement company. The following is a list of facts that may help you decide which one you need to hire and how much they will charge.
- Post Requested Date: The first thing that you must do is to ask the company for their post-requested date (which is the day when they can come and replace your windows). This allows you to prepare yourself and your home beforehand so everything would go smoothly.
- Standards: Typically, all window replacement companies within a particular area follow specific standards in terms of size, materials as well as styles as part of their standard practices ensuring that each homeowner gets what they have paid for.
- Payment: A payment method must be agreed upon before the installation can take place (whether it would be a cash payment or through credit cards, etc.). The installation company may also ask you to pay half of the total price as a down payment and the rest at the end of replacement work.
- Contract: Make sure that you look over the window replacement contract as well as fully understand what is included and not included in such (such as charges which might occur if something has been damaged during the process). This way, you will know what is expected of both parties and avoid any conflicts later on.
- Insurance: It is important to check whether or not the window replacement company has liability insurance and whether or not your home is covered by their policy if it would get damaged during the process. This way, you can rest assured that you will not have any issues with repairing anything that may be broken after the installation.
- Warranties: Warranties are pretty much self-explanatory but just in case, ask about what they really cover and how long these last so you can be aware. This way, if ever something goes wrong in a year or two, you know who to call and where to head to for assistance.
- Quality of Work: Always look around your neighborhood especially those close to your residence and see which window replacement companies have had the best results. This way, you will avoid the hassle of dealing with people who would not do such a good job and may even be messy or careless throughout the process.
- References: Finally, always ask to see some references from previous customers so you can get an idea about how they conduct their business and whether or not you should work with them.
You have decided to purchase new windows for your home and you know that hiring a window replacement company is what you need. However, you know nothing about this type of work and how difficult it can be to hire the right contractor.
- Request estimates from different companies: If you want to make sure that you choose the best option, then it’s only logical that you survey quite a few window installation contractors to compare their offers and rates.
This will help you pick out the most reliable and affordable bidder and avoid any unpleasant surprises later on. Make sure that all quotes include cost information like labor expenses, supplies, etc. Also keep an eye out for hidden costs such as travel, fuel charges, etc.
- Compare three or more estimates: There are too many window replacement companies out there who act like they provide the best services but do not deliver their promised results or use low-quality materials.
When you think about tedious jobs like how to measure a window for replacement, it makes you feel like the labor will be expensive. Part of the reason why you need to compare at least three contractors is that you want to avoid hiring one of these fly-by-night window installation companies.
- You can likely tell apart a trustworthy company from inexperienced workmen just by reading their proposals carefully and comparing them with other offers that you have received in the past few weeks. A reliable window replacement company will answer your questions even if it’s about how to frame for a window installation.
- Consider referrals: Another reliable way for finding reputable contractors is to ask your friends, colleagues, neighbors, and relatives if they know anyone who could give you professional recommendations on local window replacement companies. You should also ask if they have used this type of service in the past and who they used to hire, etc.
- 4. Type of window installation: Window replacement companies are not the same for every type of window installation project. For example, an extremely large or small size job may require special equipment or techniques that are beyond the level of ordinary window installation contractors.
So make sure that their expertise matches your needs before hiring them to do any work on your property.
- Check their licenses and insurance certificates: Make sure that all contractors you want to hire have valid general liability insurance coverage with at least one million dollar limit per occurrence and worker’s compensation insurance too (if applicable).
Also, check whether these people are properly licensed by doing some online research and by asking for their references.
- Visit some of their completed jobs: You can get a better idea of how good window installation contractors are by visiting some of the worksites that they have previously worked on.
These places will give you a chance to see how thoroughly they clean up after themselves and what kind of quality work their experienced professionals produce for homeowners like you.
- Even if there is no one site in your vicinity, at least find out if they provide before-and-after pictures of projects that they managed to complete successfully and ask them about them.
- Be clear on payment terms: You could be asking yourself, how much does a windows installation cost? Make sure that you clearly state how much money should be paid before window replacement begins and how long it may take to receive the final payment.
You do not want to make any advance payments without first signing a detailed contract that should include all outstanding details like total cost, specific scope of work, schedule and payment schedule, etc.
- Hire an insured contractor: Don’t forget that only experienced contractors who are licensed should be hired for window installation or replacement projects at your home or business because inexperience can lead to accidents and injuries on the job.
So you will need to find a company that is insured in case something goes wrong during the installation process and they have liability insurance coverage which protects both property owners and employees in these types of cases.
- No pressure sale tactics: As soon as a window replacement contractor starts pressuring you into making a decision right away, you should know that it is time to leave.
You are under absolutely no obligation to make a decision or sign an agreement on the same day as your initial meeting with window replacement companies. Be patient and wait for other offers to arrive before making any decisions.
- Set realistic expectations: It is important that you first define exactly what it is that you expect from window installation companies in terms of quality service, workmanship, cost-effectiveness, and total value after all expenses have been paid out too.
This will allow you to compare offers more effectively so that you do not overpay for substandard services or low-quality materials. If possible, try to speak with some of the people who have already made use of contractors’ services.
Protect your loved ones by making sure that window replacement companies in your area are adequately insured, licensed, and experienced in window installation work. Do not hire just anyone to do this job for you because it could cost you thousands of dollars in damages or injuries after the job has been completed improperly.